Sunday, November 18, 2012

There's a song I have fallen head over heels in love with. Drops of Jupiter, by Train( Go here to see the video if you've never heard it before or if you're just a diehard fan of awesome music). At one point in the song, it says, "Tell me, did you sail across the sun? Did you make it to the Milky Way to see the lights all faded, and that Heaven is overrated?"
I love how he says that. Everyone always goes on and on about how heaven is the bestest place on earth...and I don't doubt it is- for about 2 days. Maybe a week. But after a few thousand years, or maybe even a few months, I think we'd get tired of seeing it. Of being there. Of constantly having nothing to do...nothing to learn...nothing to stretch our minds on.
I don't think I'd be very happy there.
Heaven is supposed to be perfect, right?
Here are a few problems with that, however.
We love perfection. We crave it, we lay awake in bed and wish that our lives were perfect. We want to change everything so that its perfect. But if life were perfect, we would stop being thankful for everything. We would no longer stare at the Northern Lights, our mouths hanging open. We wouldn't head to the beach to enjoy long sandy walks because we would no longer be marveling at the beauty in front of us. Heh, there wouldn't even be a beach, probably, not like we know it, anyway, cause the water would be clear as a lake, not cloudy. We wouldn't need those amazingly strong structures known as lighthouses. We wouldn't get to see them coated in ice in such a way that they look like frozen candles. We wouldn't know the joy of warming our hands over a fire because we wouldn't get cold (Ok, that last one is assumption because I hate being cold).
Would we enjoy rare treats as much as we do now? Probably not. I wouldn't love wildlife as much, because, well, hell, they're all getting along.
Problem is, in a perfect world, there is nothing to learn. No winning sides in sports. And I'm not happy without some sort of competition (I'm fine without competition between girls, but I mean, who would be the best bassoonist? No one, cause we'd all be equal).
We wouldn't be hurt, therefore we could no longer learn to heal or forgive.
There's just a whole bunch about heaven that makes me wish that it didn't exist.
We wouldn't know what its like to be 'so afraid to fly, you never land.' We couldn't overcome fear. Wouldn't that suck?


Well, I'm headed to trace my imperfect and wonderful way through the imperfect constellation...maybe fall for a shooting star with a permanent scar...cause scars show that we've learned. Later, I'm dancing along the light of day. Cause that's never perfect either.

No comments:

Post a Comment